Produce Spotlight: Zucchini
Judging from my backyard garden and those of all of the home gardeners I know, it must be zucchini season! We have so many zucchini right now, it almost feels like they’re growing right inside the kitchen!
And it’s a good thing that we have so many, because zucchini and summer squash are full of nutrient benefits that are good for our hearts, digestive system and blood sugar.
Here are a few of the Benefits of Zucchini:
- They are good for your heart. Research shows that eating foods that are rich in carotenoids (such as zucchini) lowers your risk for cardiovascular disease.
- They are a good source of fiber. When you enjoy zucchini with the skin on, you benefit from all of the fiber to help with gut health and digestion.
- Zucchini can lower your blood sugar levels. Zucchini is high in fiber and therefore can help you stay satisfied longer as well as reduce your blood sugar levels and insulin sensitivity.
Eating zucchini as a veggie side or in place of a starchy food such as pasta are excellent ways to reap the benefits of this versatile vegetable.
In an effort to use all of them before they rot, I’ve rounded up some delicious zucchini recipes from Registered Dietitians to enjoy. Zucchini can be used in so many ways, you never have to eat the same meal twice – unless you want to because they taste so good!
- Sweet Potato and Zucchini Kale Hash
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 20 Minute Summer Squash and Corn Salad
- Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Crema
- Zoodles with Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes
Diced, sliced and spiralized – today is a great day to enjoy some zucchini!