Do you find yourself in a mid-afternoon slump between lunch and dinner?
This is the time of day I hear most often is when we crave something sweet and satisfying. We’ve been working all day and need a little break. Previously it may have led us straight to the vending machine and now it brings us right to the pantry. Staring at all of the packaged snacks that we bought “just for the kids”.
Instead of reaching for those bars with added sugar, prep a batch of these chocolate peanut butter protein bars to get you through the day. These bars have natural peanut butter, so they are lower in added sugar and are full of protein, fiber and healthy fats. And you don’t even have to turn on the oven.
If you don’t have some of the ingredients, substitute what you do have. You can sub in any nut butter for peanut butter or swap another fun add in for the chocolate chips. Add whatever you like to enjoy this power fueled meal or snack!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar
- 1 1/2 cup natural peanut butter any nut butter or sunflower seed butter for nut free
- 3 TBSP coconut oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- 4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or other add in if you prefer
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 TBSP flax meal
- 1 cup protein powder I used chocolate for extra chocolate flavor, but you can use whatever you prefer!
- Melt the peanut butter, coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly to mix ingredients until smooth without letting it get to a boil.
- In a large bowl, add the oats, protein powder, salt, cinnamon, flax and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Add the peanut butter mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until incorporated. The mixture will be somewhat dry, but will hold together when pressed. If it feels too wet and crumbly you can add a little honey and water. If it feels too wet, add some oats.
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper hanging over the sides as a lift.
- Once everything is mixed and the consistency is how you want it, press firmly into the pan.
- Let firm in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- These bars will keep in the fridge for three weeks and in the freezer for 3 months.