I am all about recipes that hydrate with this heat. Many things I used to bring indoors such as workouts and dinners have been outside this summer for safety and distancing from others. With temperatures over 90 degrees on most days, that means I’ve been sweating a lot and needing extra hydration.
Last week I mentioned some ways to keep cool and stay hydrated. Today I’m going to highlight two hydrating foods – watermelon and cucumber.
Benefits of Watermelon
- Watermelon is 92% water – very helpful with hydration.
- High in Vitamin C which helps immunity.
- Good source of Vitamin A for skin, immune and eye health.
- Contains magnesium and potassium which are both beneficial for heart health.
Benefits of Cucumber
- Cucumbers are 96% water which helps with hydration. You can even add cucumbers to flavor water and help you consume more!
- Cucumbers contain fiber which aids in digestion.
- Good source of Vitamin K for blood health.
- Contains Vitamin C for immune health.
These tasty hydrating foods give a lot of bang for the buck – you can load up on them and consume a lot of nutrients without added fats, sugar and calories. Enjoy them on their own, as salad toppers or in water to give a flavor boost!
Try this recipe this week for a great way to enjoy them both!
Cucumber Watermelon Salad
This delicious salad is a perfect side for your next outdoor dinner!
- 2 cups watermelon chopped
- 1/2 cucumber seeded and sliced
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1 TBSP mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 TBSP lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Stir together watermelon, cucumber, feta and mint in a large bowl.
Whisk olive oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper in a a smaller bowl.
Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the watermelon mixture and toss.